Thursday, October 9, 2008

Surfers and sunsets

I went to Waikiki Beach, Hawaii in mid April for a wedding and I saw a ton of surfers everyday I was there and this vintage postcard was inspired by that. I also posted the process so you can see what I did.

This was purely an experimental piece and in all honesty I had no real idea what I was doing, just screwing around with Flash and Photoshop and see what I can do with the drawing I had available.

Again, the preview is kinda small so you'll have to click on it to see better:

So first we start with our drawing with blue and red color erase pencil on 11x17 xerox paper:

We then scan it into Flash and layout the line work and assign line width. Also in this stage I do my corrections I feel necessary and in this case I felt the clouds didn't convex very well so I laid out a faint grid and redrew them in Flash:

Now in this stage I just played around and experimented with color. There was also a lot of changes in the design of the water because I didn't think that they were working from the drawing.I also stretched the background by about 40% and it looked waaaaaaaayyyy better that way:

Finally it's dragged into Photoshop and given filters, textures,blurs, and all that good stuff:


Hope you enjoy, and there's more coming like this . . .

2 comments:

  1. Hey Ralph!

    Glad to see you've got a blog man. Your stuff is awesome as always. I love the colors you're using. And your process of using Flash to lay things out is really cool. I'd love to see more of these process posts.

    Take it easy bro.

    ReplyDelete
  2. man, your stuff looks really great! ralph, way to go, man!

    ReplyDelete